Monday, June 13, 2011

Let there be light!


I've been itching to start this lamp since the second I saw it sitting on the table amidst the junk at the yard sale.  It painted up VERY nicely, but I knew I couldn't use the old shade because I didn't like the size.  I wanted to slim the whole silhouette.  I was wanting just a plain cylindrical shade, no sloping, so I figured I could make one-easy enough... Did I have poster board? No.  Matte board? No.  Any type of flexible plastic something? No....... Soupy finally said, "Did you ever think about going to the store to buy one?"  Where's the creative, Susie Homemaker, I did it all by myself fun in that? Well, guess what? I caved and went to Target.  And guess what else? They didn't have what I wanted.  So I settled. 




I absolutely LOVE it! I am soooo happy with the results! I hope this new lamp inspires you girls to go out and snatch up that fabulously figured but maybe not so made up find and fix her up yourself!  Here's how I did it.  First, I removed the old lampshade.  You screw off the top screw and remove the shade.  I then taped off the piece that holds the light bulb and the base of the cord, where it attaches to the lamp.  I spray painted the entire base a high gloss black.   I couldn't leave well enough alone with a white shade, I wanted to jazz it up a bit.  I couldn't find any gross grain ribbon in my stash, so I used some ric rac.  I may change it later, we'll have to see how it looks when the whole room is complete.  So, I hot glued the ric rac along the bottom and top edges and then popped on a flower with a bead accent.


Before I attached the new shade, I had to modify the lamp a bit because there was a large metal framework protecting the light bulb.  I removed that, then had to remove the light bulb to slide the new shade to where it could sit under the bulb(weird placement I know, I should have taken pictures-but you can figure it out if you need to!).  Hope you like!

Linked up!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment